Due Date: Friday, May18, at 11:59 p.m.
• Photoshop Tutorial Files
In this assignment you will use provided images and your own images to complete five tutorials about using Adobe Photoshop. You will save them as .JPG images to post on your blog, and submit the original .PSD images to Blackboard.
- Download Photoshop if you are an online student, or if you are a Pullman student who prefers to have it on your own computer. Refer to the Software & Technical Requirements page for software subscription options to install the program.
- Next, download the Photoshop Tutorial files that you will use to complete the assignment.
- Then, complete the five tutorials. Detailed instructions are available from the links below.
- Once you have completed the tutorials, post images of the completed tutorials to your blog according the the instructions below.
- Finally, submit your original files to Blackboard to complete the assignment.
Getting started with Photoshop
If you have not used Photoshop before, it is strongly recommended that you view the following 5-minute video from Adobe: Introduction to the Photoshop workspace
These tutorials will help you get familiar with the basic tools in Photoshop. You will apply the skills you learn in this lesson to your Graphic Design Project. Every student develops their own preferred style for following tutorials, but it is recommended that you first watch the demonstration video in each tutorial, then go through the written instructions as you complete the steps yourself.
Select each tutorial to find written instructions and videos:
- Introduction to Layers
- Adjustment Layers
- Layer Masks
- Text and Effects
- Cutouts and Blending Modes
- Finally, turn in your completed tutorials
Turn in your completed tutorials
Follow the instructions for Turning in Your Photoshop Tutorials to prepare all of your completed tutorials for submission to Blackboard and posting on your blog.
Upon completion of each tutorial you should have two copies of each tutorial:
- A .JPG file that you exported at the end of the tutorial. You post this to your blog;
- An original .PSD (Photoshop) file that contains all the layers and adjustments you made. You turn this into Blackboard along with your blog post URL.
If you’re new to Blackboard and/or WordPress, you should consider completing your assignment well before the due date to allow for the possibility of technical issues. If you experience any issues while submitting your assignment contact the instructor immediately.
Here are some more Photoshop tutorials you may find helpful. These are not required, but students often find them very useful.
Introduction to Photoshop CC Series (Adobe)
Photoshop Basix Tutorial Series
Photoshop Crash Course (YouTube)
Editing Text in Photoshop
How to Remove a Background in Photoshop
Facial Retouching Using Photoshop
Colorizing in Photoshop
Applying adjustment layers to a single layer in Photoshop
Photoshop techniques for putting images into shapes
Using clipping masks to create an image grid
Create a digital collage with Adobe Stock
Tutorials will be graded for completion. Each tutorial is worth 6 points.